If your goal is saving energy, upgrading to a programmable thermostat is an easy way to cut your yearly heating and cooling costs by up to 15 percent. This one smart move can bring you greater comfort and convenience, too. Here’s how to get the biggest benefit from upgrading a thermostat.
Choose a Model That Matches Your Equipment, Lifestyle and Needs
Today, there are a variety of programmable thermostats available, including traditional models, thermostats with WiFi connectivity, “learning” models that adjust to your habits, or intelligent recovery models to pair with a heat pump. Whatever type you decide on, you’ll have a choice of three main scheduling options:
- 7-day models give you the ability to have a different setback schedule each day of the week.
- 5+2 models let you program one schedule for weekdays, and a second on the weekends.
- 5-1-1 models are ideal if you have a usual routine during the work week, another on Saturdays, and a different schedule on Sundays.
When you’re choosing a thermostat, make sure that it matches your type and brand of HVAC equipment. Look for features that boost convenience, such as a touch screen, back-lit display, remote or voice programming, energy use monitoring, an outdoor temperature display and a low battery indicator.
Install, Program and Use Your New Thermostat Correctly
Follow these tips to get the most from your new device:
- Install the thermostat on an interior wall away from drafts, direct sunlight and heat sources.
- Fully utilize the daily temperature setting options when you’re programming the unit.
- Always schedule temperature setbacks for at least eight-hour periods.
- Put the thermostat in “vacation” mode when you plan to be away from home to maintain a constant temperature and prevent energy waste.
- Avoid overriding your programming once it’s set. If you use the override feature excessively, you’ll negate any energy savings.
- Check the batteries regularly and replace them as needed.
For more information on how upgrading a thermostat to programmable can provide energy savings in your South Houston, League City, Friendswood, Pearland or Deer Park home, contact us today at Valderrama A/C & Refrigeration.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com