A programmable thermostat can make a big dent in your summer energy costs, but only if you’re using it properly. To help you achieve the considerable energy savings you’ve heard about, we’ve put together a list of tips that will help you better understand and get the most out of your programmable thermostat.
Getting the Most From Your Programmable Thermostat
- Location matters. If your thermostat is in a sunny place or close to an area that’s usually warmer than the rest of the home, like a kitchen or bathroom, it will affect your cooling and heating systems. It should be away from exterior doors, windows and skylights or any other places that have natural drafts.
- Program according to home occupancy. If you work away from home for eight hours a day, your programmable thermostat settings should take that into account, along with commute time and when you plan to return. With the right settings, your thermostat can cool down the home shortly before you arrive so you always experience maximum comfort. When you’re leaving for several days, change the programmable thermostat settings to a higher temperature by using the hold setting, unless you’re leaving heat-sensitive pets behind.
- Try not to override the settings. Overriding settings causes your energy use to increase until the thermostat enters its next preset period.
- Don’t forget the batteries. Unless the thermostat is wired into your home, check the batteries annually. Some models have a battery strength indicator that will alert you before the batteries expire.
- Heat pumps require are a special case. If you have a heat pump, verify that you have the right kind of programmable thermostat. Although any programmable thermostat will work when the pump is in the cooling mode, it won’t work as well with a heat pump during the winter. These systems require an intelligent recovery or adaptive recovery thermostat. The devices lock out the emergency heating coil inside the heat pump that uses far more electricity than the pump itself does to heat your home.
For more information and advice about programmable thermostats, contact Valderrama A/C & Refrigeration. We’ve provided outstanding HVAC services for South Houston, League City, Pearland, Deer Park and Friendswood for more than 28 years.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com