Homeowners who want the most efficiency and durability from their cooling systems typically follow through with annual professional A/C maintenance. Central air conditioners contain many precision parts that work in concert to remove the heat from your home’s air. Given the high usage that cooling systems receive in our climate, these systems can go out of adjustment over the course of the cooling season.
A system that doesn’t receive adequate maintenance will break down faster and have higher operating costs. When an HVAC technician maintains your system, he or she will do the following:
- Check the thermostat to make sure it’s working properly, re-calibrating it if necessary.
- Oil the motors and check the belt tension.
- Clean and tighten the electrical components, along with testing their electrical output.
- Remove any dust on the condenser and evaporator coils to improve cooling efficiency, along with removing dust from the condenser and air handler fans.
- Change the air filter. The air filter is one of the most important parts of the cooling system. A dirty air filter increases the amount of time the A/C has to run, driving up energy costs and wearing the system faster. The technician can show you how and when to change the air filter.
- Test the airflow through the air handler and evaluate the amount going to the supply registers. This part of professional A/C maintenance can save substantial amounts of energy and money if there are any ductwork leaks. These leaks also degrade indoor air quality by picking up dust and debris from the areas through which they run.
- Measure the refrigerant level. Systems that have too much or too little don’t run as efficiently. If the level is too low, the technician will track down the leaks before adding more. Running an A/C with a low refrigerant level can impede the cooling process and even wear out the compressor faster.
Please contact the experts at Valderrama A/C & Refrigeration for professional A/C maintenance to increase your system efficiency and assure your summertime comfort. We provide HVAC services for homeowners in South Houston, Deer Park, Pearland, League City, and Friendswood.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com