Whether you’re looking to repair, service or replace your HVAC system, give careful thought and consideration to whom you hire to complete the job. Your choice of contractor can have a direct impact on comfort, safety and energy efficiency. To make the task of hiring an HVAC contractor easier, here is a list of questions for you to ask each one.
Tips for Hiring an HVAC Contractor
- What type of experience do they have? Hiring an HVAC contractor with many years of hands-on experience means they likely will have a deep understanding of all the components of your HVAC system, including wiring, combustion or refrigeration systems and airflow, leading to greater comfort and safety.
- Are they licensed, bonded and insured? All three credentials are important, and are there to protect you in the event of injury, damage or poor workmanship.
- A contractor licensed by the state of Texas, will have met certain minimum requirements, greatly increasing the chance they’re reputable.
- In order to be bonded, your contractor will have purchased a surety bond, a type of insurance to protect you from unfair or unexpected costs relating to the job.
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance protects you from any liability should a worker be injured while on the job.
- Do they have references? Insist on at least three local, recent references and call each one to inquire about their experience.
- Can they provide a detailed, written estimate? Knowing the time frame for the work, the cost, and what is included can help when comparing contractors. Keep in mind the lowest bid isn’t always the best; consider all the factors before choosing.
- Do you have a maintenance plan? A preventive maintenance plan will help prolong the life of your HVAC system, while increasing comfort, safety and efficiency.
- Are their technicians NATE certified? Certification by North American Technician Excellence requires proof of excellence in the contractor’s chosen field, through stringent testing and ongoing education.
- What are the terms of their warranty? Read the fine print, and know exactly what is covered and for how long.
Before hiring an HVAC contractor, give us a call at Valderrama A/C & Refrigeration, proudly serving residents of South Houston and the surrounding area.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com